Frequently Asked Questions
What can I hire?
We have a selection of high quality mountain and road bikes for adults and kids that we update every year. We also hire bike trailers and tag-a-longs too.
Due to coronavirus, we are cleaning all bikes including the handlebars after each hire.
When can I hire?
To avoid disappointment we suggest that people pre-book the dates and times they wish to hire our equipment via our online booking We do have on-the-day hire, but this is always subject to availability, especially during busier times.
How long can I hire for?
Mountain bikes, kids bikes, tag-a-longs and trailers can be hired for a minimum of 2 hours and upwards. Road bikes are on a full-day basis only.
How much does hire cost?
Hire prices start at £20 for Adult MTB bikes, £50 for Adult Road bikes, E-Bikes £60 and £10 for Kids bikes. See our full equipment price list and offers here.
What happens on the day of your equipment hire?
Please arrive at least 30 minutes before your pre-booked start time. This allows us to check you in and ensure the equipment is set up for your requirements. We then safety brief you on the equipment (gears, brakes etc.) and the environment you will be riding in. Before you set off there is time for you to familiarize yourself with the equipment and ask any questions you may have.
Do I need to wear a cycle helmet?
YES. It is mandatory to wear a cycle helmet when you hire one of our bikes. For your health and safety, at this time we strongly advise you bring your own or buy a new one (we sell new helmets). You can also hire one from us. Cycles will NOT be hired to customers not wearing a cycle helmet.
What do I need to bring on the day of my hire?
On the day of your hire you MUST have ALL of the following items:
- A debit or credit card for payment and security (This is a requirement of our insurance)
- Photo ID e.g. driving license or passport. Sorry but we will not be able to hire bikes without this
- If you are under 16 years of age you will need an adult present to confirm your booking.
Please note the other sections in this F.A.Q. regarding mandatory usage of cycle helmets, recommended clothing and items to bring.
Do you supply maps?
Maps of Epping Forest are supplied with every equipment hire booking. You can also download one from here before you arrive.
What clothing should I wear and what should I bring?
Cycling in Epping Forest provides some excellent and challenging riding in a natural environment. In order to have the best experience we recommend you bring:
- Clothing suitable for mountain biking that you won't mind getting dirty or wet
- Appropriate cycling footwear. Suitable footwear includes trainers, cycling or walking shoes. Cycling in flip-flops or open toed sandals is not recommended
- Water, energy drinks and food (which we also sell in our shop)
- A mobile phone
- A suitable rucksack to carry belongings. We have small lockers to leave non-valuable stuff in.
Do you do group bookings?
School groups and corporate team building days are welcome and we can tailor the day to your needs. We can also recommend local guides. Find out more on our Guided Rides page.
How do I navigate around the forest?
Epping Forest is not a trail centre, so the routes are not sign posted.
However we do have maps available for a small fee at our shop. Easy to moderate tracks can be found around the forest and we will suggest a route before you ride.
Alternatively, the Epping Forest Visitor Centre can also give you information on places to cycle.
Another option is to arrange a guided ride. Guides have local knowledge of the trails and singletrack. Please contact us for further information.
Lastly, it is also possible to find GPS maps for routes around the forest for many cycle computers and mobile phones if you do a bit of searching online.
Is there car parking available?
There is plenty of free car parking available on site.
What to do if I have a problem during my experience?
Go Further Cycling wants to ensure your safety during your experience with us. Your safety is our primary concern.
- Do not tie clothing around your waist or wear long clothing or trousers that have loose material around the ankles - It could get trapped in the wheels or chain gear
- Pay careful attention to the map to keep track of your location so you can tell someone where you are if you need to
- If you have a mechanical problem with your bike do not continue to ride it and call us on 020 8524 6626 we will endeavor to bring you a replacement bike
- If you or anyone in your group gets badly injured please call the emergency services
Can I cancel my booking?
Due to the situation with coronavirus at this time we will offer a full refund up to the day of your hire so please ignore below for now.
Yes but depending on when you cancel you could be charged up to 100% of the hire costs. We may be able to move your booking subject to availability.
over 7 days- 100% refund
Under 5 days- 50% refund
Under 48 hours- No refund